01 noviembre 2011

The small differences

Surprised again with Polish people, their politeness and their empathy, I feel forced to compare some situations with their Spanish version.

The other night, while coming back to Warsaw by train, I had a "small" conversation with the inspectors.

As far as I knew, I had a 50% discount in my train tickets because I have a student card, but the problem is that it's only applied until you're 26 years old and... I'm 27. So the inspectors tried to explain me the problem: instead of paying 18zl I had to pay 51zl, because not only the discount can't be applied, but I'm neither young anymore. And I didn't know it! (that the discount only applies until you're 26, of course).

So after a few minutes telling them that, yeah, I'm 27, and hearing them saying that, yeah, I was born in 1984, I tried to explain them how the discount was always applied and the other inspectors never said anything about it. I think I understood something like: "because they didn't see your age". After that they just told me to relax, since I was sweating trying to use the few words I know to communicate, and they told me everything was okay, but to remember that the discount was not valid anymore.

After they left I remembered how it would have been in Spain, according to my experiences. And I remembered the last time I saw inspectors in the Cercanías, going to Madrid.
While they were asking everyone for the tickets, they told a 15 years old girl, who was alone, that her ticket wasn't validated. Everything would be okay till this point, unless we knew that in our station there is NO validator, has never been a validator and there's no information concerning the validation of train tickets.
So the inspectors, instead of explaining her the situation, told her she had to pay a 100€ fine, and they didn't change their minds even if the girl started crying, saying she had no money, and the people around also said there isn't and has never been a validator in our station.

Small differences that show you the politeness and empathy of some people and the huge amount of prickness of some others.

P.s.: I kinda TAKE THAT BACK.

2 comentarios:

  1. y esas maquinas q hay bajo la pantalla de llegadas y salidas??

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Esas máquinas tienen o tenían un hermoso cartel que decía: bonotren y abono de 10 viajes. Nada de sencillos.

    ResponderEliminar